All about current ultrasonic toothbrushes from Philips. The best devices from the tests & what you should definitely look for when buying.
First things first: Currently, Philips does NOT manufacture ultrasonic toothbrushes, but is the market leader in “normal” sonic toothbrushes. These devices differ mainly in the way they work:
- Sound-powered brushes oscillate back & forth (up to 60,000 times per minute) and in this way ensure clean teeth. The movement of the brush head removes impurities in the process.
- Models with ultrasound use the air bubbles of a special toothpaste. The bubbles burst by a frequency in the millions & thereby remove the plaque.
On paper, ultrasonic toothbrushes have an advantage due to newer technology, but in practice, the difference is limited in my experience.
Even normal sonic toothbrushes clean much better than any manual toothbrush and are absolutely sufficient for very good dental hygiene(more on the differences below).
Only in the case of very sensitive teeth, the surcharge for the gentler ultrasonic toothbrushes may be worthwhile – all others prefer to reach for sonic devices that offer more performance for the money.
For your reference, here is a selection of the best Sonicare sonic toothbrushes. All devices presented there offer a very good cleaning & many useful comfort functions such as timer or cleaning settings.
Info: If you want to read even more information about different sonic toothbrushes (also from other manufacturers apart from Philips), then you can find here a detailed comparison of different models.
If you want to learn more about the differences between the two technologies, it’s best to continue reading here:
Ultrasonic Toothbrush vs. Regular Sonic Toothbrush From Philips
There are noticeable differences in cleaning results (plaque is removed minimally more thoroughly by ultrasonic devices, for example), but overall the gap between them and normal models is quite small.
Sonic toothbrushes offer much better features for the same price, with higher quality materials, more cleaning modes, etc.
Can a brush with ultrasound still make sense if most regular models already clean thoroughly enough?
Yes, because the biggest differentiator is not the cleaning power, but the mode of action itself.
Ultrasonic toothbrushes work in a completely different way than conventional electric toothbrushes. This can be a real added value for some users and justify the extra cost.
The benefits compared to sonic toothbrushes:
Ultrasonic toothbrushes work without disturbing movements in the oral cavity. Due to the high frequency, the bristles do not vibrate uncomfortably. You simply hold the brush to your teeth and the ultrasound removes plaque extremely reliably.
- The absence of mechanical cleaning brings advantages. This can be recommended for those with sensitive gums or periodontal disease, because impurities are removed not by scrubbing, but by bursting air bubbles.
- It is harder to brush with the wrong technique. Because this type of toothbrush does not use rubbing movements, you can not easily damage the enamel or exposed necks of teeth by applying too much pressure.
- For bridges, dental crowns or other “obstacles” in the mouth, an ultrasonic device is often more comfortable to use. The bristles do not rub over the teeth, but are only calmly applied to the surface.
Not least, the cleaning succeeds especially with braces much easier.
So such a device can be well worth a purchase – if these points seem important. Not having to clean mechanically can be a real advantage, especially for sensitive teeth.
Ultrasonic toothbrushes are gentle on teeth
The end result (the cleanliness of the teeth) may not show much difference, but the application itself can be much more comfortable due to the gentler mode of action.
Here you should align the purchase decision therefore best to the own needs.
In summary: Ultrasonic devices are not necessarily better than Sonicare sonic toothbrushes from Philips, but are aimed at a different target group: those with many bridges, heavy plaque buildup or sensitive gums can benefit from an ultrasonic toothbrush and its mode of action.
But in direct comparison, these devices also have some disadvantages
- In terms of price, ultrasonic technology is clearly the most expensive. Both the devices themselves and the necessary accessories cost more than other types of toothbrushes. For this, it is difficult to make a real bad purchase in this price segment, because the quality is high.
- The selection of different brands turns out much smaller than in the other variants. This means that you are very likely to find replacement brushes only on the Internet and not in your local drugstore (quite unlike Oral-B or Sonicare devices)
- Ultrasonic toothbrushes often only work with special toothpastes whose air bubbles burst & thereby cleaning the teeth. Normal variants do not work, so they must always take a suitable toothpaste, even when traveling.
If you have sensitive teeth, you can accept these disadvantages in my opinion without a guilty conscience.
- The gentle action of ultrasonic toothbrushes is a big plus and more than makes up for the disadvantages (& the extra cost).
- Specially in the case of dental problems, the investment in such a device is also usually much cheaper than expensive periodontal treatments at the dentist.
In the field of teeth, in my opinion, prevention is always the best & cheapest option.
Info: More information about real ultrasonic devices can be found here: The best ultrasonic toothbrushes in the test
Final conclusion on (ultra) sonic toothbrushes from Philips
In most cases, I recommend regular Philips sonic toothbrushes, as they are usually just as thorough in terms of cleaning as more expensive ultrasonic versions.
- However, those who struggle with sensitive teeth, receding gums, or simply the vibrations of normal brushes may well consider purchasing an ultrasonic toothbrush.
- The biggest advantage is not the slightly better cleaning experience, but the gentle mode of action. Who recognizes in this a real added value, should opt for an ultrasonic device.
These offer for a proud price an excellent & especially gentle cleaning – with which only a few alternatives can keep up.